Tuesday, October 16, 2018

A lonely pain




Last Night.

I got a phone call from a past student.

She told me that one of my 7th grade student's father had died the night before.

I sat and stared into space as I imagined my student going through this pain.  The death of a parent is a lonely pain.  I was lucky enough to be well into my adulthood when I found out how lonely this pain truly is.  I had tons of loving people around me.  The support was immense.

But the pain still sits within me.  All alone.

For my student, I am at a loss of what I can do for her.  Has this happened before...to my students?  Yes.  But for sure, this doesn't get easier and answers are no better than before.

This post is NOT for or about me.  It is about this child.  I want to do everything for this child.  But this child doesn't even know what they want. Or need.

Our students come to school, expected to learn and behave.  Many have so much trauma in their lives that they are lucky to get out of bed.  We need to address the student and their needs first.  We need to be there for our students.  We need to let them know, if and when they are ready, that we are there for them.

Checking in.  Being aware of the said and the unsaid.  Just being there.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


No comments:

Post a Comment