Monday, October 29, 2018

A better place




I had a student come up to me last week and ask me what is was like to be a teacher.  She explained that she didn't understand why anyone would want to wake up each day and come to school to teach kids who would rather be in bed or home playing video games.  She went on to say that I always seem like I love what I do.

I explained:

Long ago, before becoming a teacher, I helped kids in need with various problems.  I helped them with their families, with legal issues, and with thoughts of hurting themselves.  I love it while I could, but it was hard on me as a person.  I would come home at night and cry or want to hide from the world.

Then, I accidentally got an opportunity to be a guest teacher for about 6 months.  I fell in love with the idea of continuing to help kids but in a more positive way.  After 6 months, I left my world of helping these kids and went back to school to become a teacher.

Every day I come to school with the thanks and gratitude of being able to continue to work with kids, helping them through life, while I get to feel like I am making a difference.  I get to see students realize the hows and whys of life for the first time...and that is a wonderful thing.

I am very lucky.  I have been given the gift of being a teacher.

No matter what happens in the world, or with adults making rules in our school, the most important reason why I come here each day is to be with my students and hopefully, give them everything that they need to be a success in life.

She looked up at me and smiled.  "I am glad you decided to be a teacher.  You are making my world a better place."

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


No comments:

Post a Comment