Saturday, October 27, 2018

Mindful in our healing




I didn't like the news today.  In fact, I have not liked the news in a long time.  I have to admit that I am generally one of those people who choses to avoid the news.  I don't believe that ignorance is bliss, but I have enough to worry about and be concerned about as a teacher who worries about his students.

I like social media.  I like that I get to connect with other teachers and writers from around the globe.  I like that I get to keep in touch with old friends that I otherwise would never have stayed in contact with or found as I got older.

I have noticed news based in other countries now, more than ever.  These "news" sources clearly are created as an attempt to bring divide to our country.  I see my old friends in daily arguments over posts from propagandized sites that report untruths, but the readers want to believe them.

This all leaves me with a choice that I shouldn't have to make.  I should not have to choose between leaving social media or continuing to witness a seeming decay of our society.  More important, our younger generations including my students should not be placed in a situation where they have to second guess everything that they read because they cannot trust the world that they live in.

When I finally decided to open a device and look at social media today, I was hit hard with the news of Jewish people being attacked because they were worshiping as they saw fit.  They were guilty of being Jewish.  I never thought that I would hear of feel this.... As a Jewish person and a teacher of history, this...to me...was something that I always hoped would stay in the pages of history books so we could learn about this, and reflect on it far enough to feel safe.  The slogan, "Never Forget" from the Holocaust museums rings in my ears and in my mind.

I feel helpless.  I do not feel hopeless.  Our younger generation...my students are not okay with this.  I must remain a support for my students and anyone else who needs my support to move beyond this point in history.  We must learn from this time and attitude and be mindful in our healing.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites



No comments:

Post a Comment