Wednesday, October 10, 2018

I care, and that's okay.




"Mr. Levine, why do you care so much about your students?"

I was taken by surprise when one of my 7th grade honors students asked me this question this morning.

"I am not quite sure what you are asking."

"Well, every day, you go out of your way to say hi to all of your students.  You don't favor one student or the other.  You really seem genuine in your responses when students ask you stuff.  You act like a real person."

"How should I act?"

"I am not complaining.  I am just not sure why you are like you are when so many other teachers are just here to teach us.  You seem like you are here to care for us and teach us the way that you do because you care for us."

"I do care about you, all of you.  How am I teaching you like I care about you?"

"You always make sure that we understand what we are learning.  You also ask us how we want to learn things and make sure that it feels right to us.  Are teachers supposed to do that?"

"I am not sure if teachers are supposed to do that.  It is who I am.  Did you want me to change?"

"No.  No, please don't change.  Maybe you can ask other teachers to be like that?"

"I am sure each of your teachers have their way of teaching you and caring about you...otherwise, I am guessing that they would be doing something else."

As I walked away, I have to admit that I felt proud.  I am the teacher and person that I want to be.  I am proud to be the teacher who teaches through caring about each student.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


3 comments:

  1. Wow, this is a true gift given to you by a sensitive and insightful child. Way to go Mark!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will always remember seventh grade social studies class and what an amazing teacher you were and still are. Not many teachers left a positive lasting impression on me but the ones that did I can truly say really pushed me into becoming a better student and adult.

    ReplyDelete