Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Days of Old




Today is Halloween.  That means I stood on the front porch and gave away full-sized candy bars to about 300 kids.  Well, most were between the ages of 5 and 10.  There were more than a handful that were over 30.  It makes it fun when all are included.  I am tired, but the 3 hours of fun was well worth it all.

We have been giving away full-sized candy bars since we built this place in 2005.  We are on a corner, so everyone knows us.  Even in the summer, people see us working in the yard and say, "Hey, it's the people that give out the big candy at Halloween."  It is a great feeling.

For the past few years, to make it easier, my wife stays in with our two little dogs while I make my place on the front porch.  I have my DJ lights going while I play Halloween music loud enough to hear from the street. 

There is no questioning if someone is home and if there is candy and our house.

What makes this so fun for me?

It is the interaction!  It is saying hi to the adults...my neighbors while their kids have huge smiles on their face as they take their candy bars.  It is the feeling or a neighborhood. 

I miss those old days, when I was much younger and the neighborhood meant something.  It was close.  You knew each other.  You talked to each other.  You looked out for each other.  If someone wasn't outside, the group would go to the house and get them out!

I would have to say that this is the closest to the old days that I get to feel where I live.  I am sure it must be different, like the days of old, elsewhere, but I am not sure where.  Most people say that they don't even know their neighbor's names.  This makes me sad.

Maybe if we knew our neighbors.  Knew people in real life as opposed to only social media...maybe our world would be nicer and not so full of hate?

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#MIndfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


No comments:

Post a Comment