Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Write-icide




I had a student tell me that writing was boring.  I asked her to tell me more.  She explained that it is boring because it takes so much time and thought and there really is no purpose for writing.

I asked her to explain what kinds of writing she has done in the past that was so painful for her.  She explained that (in her old school...she just moved here) they had to write for 20-minutes a day about things that the teacher told them to write about.

I asked her if they were called prompts?  She said yes.

I asked her if her writing has improved over the past few years.  She told me that she has no idea.  She would always gets Cs on her writing and that seemed good enough to keep her B in the classes.

Kelly Gallagher wrote the incredible book called Readicide about how we kill the love of reading.



I am wondering if there is a thing that Kelly might call Write-icide?

Without purpose and feedback, direction and choice...the love or even tolerance for writing can be killed.

I am very hopeful and optimistic that my team can help undo this harmless trauma that this girl has gone through.  I haven't even asked her about reading yet.

What we do, or don't do with our kids matters.  Be mindful of the effects of your assignments.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


No comments:

Post a Comment