Friday, August 17, 2018

Tearful Connection




Today was one of those days.  One of those days when you connect with a student and you cannot help but get tears in your eyes in the process.

Edie carries herself with confidence and pride.  She is always smiling and has many friends.  I have seen this for the past two years in the hallways of our building.  When I found out that she was going to be in my class this year, I was quite happy.  I have been wanting to know more about what makes this girl so positive.

Today, as I was walking around, checking on my students while they were working, Edie looked up to me. 

She said, "You know Mr. Levine, I promised myself that I was going to have a great year this year and I really think I can do it."

I told her, "From what I have seen of you in the past two years, you will have no problem with that."

Edie replied, "You don't understand. Last year I got over 20 discipline referrals.  I was always in trouble.  I ran my mouth with teachers and the deans all of the time.  The front office got tired of me.  Even my parents got tired of me.  I decided that I don't want to be that person anymore."

I was really surprised by this.  I had thought that she was this incredible girl that had it all together.  Wow, was I wrong.  But I was very interested in her statement about having the goal to change.

We talked about her goals for this year and I was impressed with how reflective she was.  I asked Edie why she was sharing this with me.  I explained that I really appreciate it, but was interested in knowing why she decided to bring this up to me.

She explained that she knows of my reputation with kids.  That is care about them and help them to be their better selves.

Edie said, "Mr. Levine, I don't want to let myself down.  I really need your help and I think between the two of us, I can become the person that I want to be before High School."

I tearfully replied, "Anything you need, I will be here for you."

Teaching is about so much more than standards and lessons, assessments and assignments.  It is about the human connections and relationships that help to create incredible people...and help students like Edie find herself and become the better person that she wants to become.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


No comments:

Post a Comment