Friday, August 24, 2018

What's in a Name




Why do we like when people call us by our name?

I think it makes us feel of value when someone remembers our name?

When I walk into certain stores and shops and people say hi to me using my name, it makes me feel like I belong.  I feel valued by them and a part of their family or community.

I think this is my motivation for learning the names of my 171 students as quickly as I possible can.  I feel so terrible and guilty when I forget a name or if I get their name wrong.  I also do not like mispronouncing a student's name incorrectly.  I have had issues with this lately.

It is almost as if having our names remembered and used by others validates our existence.  It gives us a sense that we are important enough to know.

To take this a step further, I pay close attention to my students.  For example, if there is something written on their T-shirts, I will ask to find out if there is meaning.  If they are wearing a school sports T-shirt, I will ask them about their role on the team.  If they are wearing a Drama T-shirt, I will ask them about the play and their role in the production.  In other words, for me...knowing their names is not enough.

We all want to matter.  We all want to be noticed.  We all want to belong.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


No comments:

Post a Comment