Friday, August 10, 2018

Truth




In just 5-short days, I will ask my students to define the word and idea- Truth.

I will ask them to define it in their own words.

I will ask them what it means to them as a person in this world.

I will ask them to reflect on its importance in life.

I will ask them to filter all of their learning this year in my middle school social studies classes through the word, Truth.

Everything that they learn, I want to them to ask themselves as they reflect on events and people in history...What and where is the truth?

My students often come to me with contrary ways of thinking and learning.  They are so accustomed to thinking how the teacher wants them to think, and ding what they teacher wants them to do, and following the opinion that the teacher wants them to have...that they are NOT capable of creating their own opinions and truths...

I want to help my students to unlearn this habit starting on day one buy creating their own truths through the opinions based on evidence that they find about what they are learning...

This in turn will help my students to truly know themselves as learners and as people.

This is something that I have been innately doing for 18 years.  This year I will be most Intentional about the approach, and have student grow an awareness or mindfulness to what is changing as they become thinkers and create their own truths.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


No comments:

Post a Comment