Saturday, August 11, 2018

Reaching the Lost




As the days get closer until the students show up to my classroom, I am haunted by one thought...

How can I engage those students that come to class guarded and not wanting to be at school.  Those students that are so far behind that they have given up trying and simply show up because they have to.  Those that will work harder at not learning than giving in and taking the risk to start regardless of where they are at academically.

Of course, all teachers struggle with this.

I have been feeling like I am at the cusp of figuring this out, as if the answer is on the tip of my tongue (or mind's tongue).

I know I will figure it out!  I am hopeful that this will be the year.  I know I am capable of finding this elusive answer to the academic riddle that plaques me.

What I know is I care enough to sit down and help these students realize that I understand.  I understand that they feel lost and trying now seems futile.  I understand that they are behind and have allowed so much time to pass that they are embarrassed and to get out of admitting to themselves that they are lost, they act out in other ways..by behaviorally acting out or attention seeking to take the attention off of the fact that they are lost...they are missing what others might have- the experience of learning that they let get away from them for whatever reason.  It may have been their choice, but all too often, it was a disconnect from a teacher in the 3rd, 4th, or 5th grade that allowed them to get behind.  And...each year, they got further and further behind.

Now they are in 7th or 8th grade, with High School just around the corner, and they are existing at a 2nd or 3rd grade level of learning.

It is not too late!  I need to help my students see this.  They do not have a learning disability as the label suggests... They have been disabled by time and disconnected learning opportunities.

This can be done!

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


No comments:

Post a Comment