Sunday, August 26, 2018

Mindset Awareness




Mindset.

It is our approach to life.

It is our belief system.

It is our reactions to others and to circumstances.

It is our confidence and self-esteem.

It can hold us back or project us into incredible situations.

I am noticing mindset more and more in my life.  I am noticing the effects that it has on individuals and groups.

I am also noticing that those that  can reflect on their mindset and are honest with themselves about their mindset are the ones that can make intentional changes.  Those that ignore their mindset, are destined to be stuck in the mud.

I see this with adults and kids alike.  I have been paying most attention to the mindsets of my students.  I am seeing evidence that mindset is so much more than Dweck's Growth or Fixed mindsets.

Mindset are beliefs.  These are not black or white mindsets and they are not static.  They are ever changing and fluid.  My students are available (middle school kids) to the change or altering mindset, but they are constantly influenced by the power of home, community, peers, and school.

So, to help students make use of their mindset, they need to become more reflective.  They need to be more aware of their mindsets in the moment.  They need to see the value of certain mindsets.  They need guidance from those that are truly in touch with their own mindset.

We cannot talk our students into a growth mindset, or any other mindset.  We need to bring awareness of mindset to our students and give them patience to understand their mindsets and the negative or positive consequences of that mindset.

Thinking out loud.

Be Mindful.

Peace. 

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


No comments:

Post a Comment