Wednesday, August 1, 2018

My Space




I often think about the spaces that I create for my students so they feel as comfortable as possible and take ownership of their learning environment.  I think about the table space, the room for their stuff, and walking room.

I also think a little bit about my space.  It is the room in which I will spend about 8-10 hours a day for the next 8.6 months.I want the space to feel comfortable for me, inviting for my students, and interesting to visitors.

When I first started teaching, I have a few Native American artifacts in my classroom representing the history of our country and my appreciation for Native American Spirituality.  By the end of the school year, two of my students added to my collection with dream catchers as gifts.

Fast forward 17+ years and the gifts kept coming.  This has certainly become a collection.  It is interesting to visitors.  It is also a tribute to my past students, especially those that have contributed to the collection of dream catchers.  I am not sure how many there are and this picture does not include all of them.  I put them up each year to honor many things.  I want my students (past) to see that I still have included their gifts in my collection when they come to visit.  I have many past students that visit me throughout the year.

I feel like this allows my space to be "our" space.  This includes past students that felt the need to be a part of the legacy.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


No comments:

Post a Comment