Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Vulnerability of Writing




Writing is hard work.

Writing is an invitation into your mind and soul.

Writing is vulnerability.

Writing is slow.

Writing takes organization.

Writing take practice.

Writing requires that you take risks.

When I write, I write for myself.  I used to worry about audience and purpose.  I used to feel that writing was only to be published or to make money.  I used to feel that I was being forced to write, only what others wanted to read.  Through practice and reflection, as well as good feedback, I learned.  I grew.  I woke up.

Why do I write then?

I have something to say.  Lots to say.  I have information to get to others about teaching.  I have methods to explain about Mindfulness.  I have stories to tell that are funny, serious, and sad.  I have mountains of articles giving people ideas about approaches in education.  I have brief seeds of thought to offer to others as food for thought.

Also,

I love the writing process.  I love the connections with other writers.  I love getting feedback and hearing what others have to give me as reflections of my work and thinking.  I love growing from feedback.  I love the routine that I have established in writing.  I love all of the people that I have met along my journey as a writer (or on my journey to become a writer).

I recently found out that many of my peers, past students, Facebook and Twitter friends, and even family read my blog.  My first reaction was one of appreciation.  Then...I had to take a step back and think about the things that I have written through the days of this year...thinking about what they are reading and what their reactions might be.  I will admit, I felt naked.  I felt that they knew things about me that only I knew.  I forgot that I was writing for myself, but TO an audience. 

But...  What can I do.  My thoughts are already out there.  They have been exposed and read.  I accept that my words and thoughts will be read. 

My hope...

Is that my blog acts as a mirror to allow readers to reflect on their own lives after reading my thoughts.

Is that my blog acts as a door and opens the world up to readers, allowing them to go places that they otherwise might not have gone.

Is that my blog acts as a window and allows my readers to see other sides to things that may not have thought about or considered.

Writing is hard work.  But once writing is a part of who you are, it becomes an innate habit of expression, reflection, and thought.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


2 comments:

  1. This is so true! When you are blogging it can be easy to get caught up in your stats. I have also had those moments where I realize a particular person has read my blog and I feel the blood rush to my face. I Just recently started sharing with friends and co-workers, after a year of blogging, that I have a blog. I often write about educational concerns that I have. It is my way of not being complacent with certain educational practices that I feel should change. It can be scary to put those thoughts out there and go against the status quo. I also don't always have the confidence that my writing "sounds good" and worry about what people will think about my awkward phrasing. I think I need to take on more of your stance of writing as an outlet for myself and not just for other people. Thanks for this post! It really made me think and reflect on my purpose for writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful, Rhonda. Thanks for your words and reading my post. Be well.

      Delete