Saturday, January 20, 2018

Unconditional Commitment



I have had a high number of students off for extended periods of time this year.  As a middle school teacher, we have our share of students that are hospitalized for emotional issues.  We have students that require surgery for one reason or another. And we also have a large number of students that go out of town or out of the country for weeks and even months at a time.

I have mixed feelings about this phenomenon.

When students have little choice, I feel complete compassion for the students.  I do whatever I can to help them get caught up in a very patient manner.

When students are on "vacation" for extended periods of time. It is their choice. Well, really, it is the choice of the parents.

I used to get angry that these students were missing school for fun and the expectation was on the teachers to help the students get caught up.  At times, what made me even more angry, was when the parents did not really take ownership of the lost time in school and didn't make school a priority.

With years of reflection behind me...and being real with myself...I now fully recognize that my 11-13 year old students do not make these choices.  I have no right to be frustrated with them.  All students, when needing my support, will get my support.

It is interesting how we as teachers, become angry or offended because students aren't in school for various reasons...especially for family vacations. I think we take this personally. I know I did.  It really isn't about me/us. It is about the students and their needs.  It is about unconditional commitment and compassion.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


1 comment: