Monday, January 22, 2018

Being Absent



As the flu makes its rounds in my building, today was my day to be down and out.

Due to many issues and an injury with surgeries, I had to miss way too many days this year.  It is strange not being at school when the kids are there. There is an odd ache of letting people down, missing out on special moments, and disappointment students that count on you.

As many days as I missed this year, you might think that the feeling has gone away, or lessened. It hasn't. In fact, as I look at the list of days that I missed, I am left feeling helpless, and somewhat useless.

Does this mean that I crave to be with my students to feel "useful?"  I am not sure. Maybe. But teaching has become my way of life, my way of being. I work and think through ALL teaching breaks.  I am a teacher before being anything else in this life.

Being absent from school is like being absent from life.

I know I will be at school tomorrow and kids will ask me how I am feeling.  They will say that they are glad that I am back or that they missed me.  It will take a full day of guilt to feel like I am back. Not their fault-mine. It is just who I am.

It is my guess that most teachers, especially the great one, share these feeling with me. I know a lot of great teachers, so thankful for that.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way. I don’t just teach. I am a teacher. It is foundational to my identity. I am grateful I have a career I love. I rarely miss school. I hate snow days. Lol.

    ReplyDelete