Friday, January 12, 2018

Deserving to Learn



In the school in which I teach, there is a very good program for students with various emotional issues.  These students are self-contained and often look at the students that change classes regularly as the luckiest kids on earth.  As I am teaching the current unit in my class, I invited a group from this class to one of my classes to try it out.

Some of the students are very timid and really proving to not be used to, or ready to be in an outside class at this time.  One in particular, however, is doing well.  He started out seeming uncomfortable like the others.  He has a history of bullying peers due his his size and some emotional stuff.  Then, for a while, he pretty much sat and did nothing.

For the past couple of days, it was clear that he had been paying attention in class.

He came up to me at the end of class and asked me if he could prove that he has been learning.  Of course, I agreed to listen.  He demonstrated that not only has he learned, but he has mastered a few concepts.

I had tears in my eyes.

He smiled, danced, and put both fists into the air.

"I'm not dumb!  I really can learn!"

All students deserve to be this happy and proud. All students deserve to notice what they are capable.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites

No comments:

Post a Comment