Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Being More

As I become more involved and engaged in Twitter chats, I am becoming more and more aware of something...

I am a social studies content teacher in an ELA World.

Well, to be fair to myself, I am a very invested in literacy social studies teacher.

I am always drawn towards literacy and ELA chats. I go to many ELA conferences including NCTE, Illinois Reading Council, and I am even the President of the Illinois Secondary Reading League.

My students tell me that my class is as much of an ELA class than any others that they are taking.

I just feel like I fit in this world.

Last year, while presenting at the Illinois Reading Council on the use of literacy standards in the content area classes, a wonderful person, a principal, challenged me to move beyond the walls of the ELA world and bring my voice to the National Social Studies stage.

I have to admit, I was scared. Maybe...I am still scared.

I know my content and how to teach it very well. My students and data prove this to me. To add this apparent natural addition to my professional side of life should seem like another perfect fit.

It feels like more. Almost awkwardly more.

As I am thinking of my One Little Word- Persist, I see and feel myself needing to push forward and take on this challenge.

It's about Being More.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites

No comments:

Post a Comment