Friday, January 5, 2018

From the Past

I had the great fortune of running into two students from the past today.  I had them in my middle school social studies classes over a decade ago.

Both of them were very nice and made similar comments about missing me and my class.  They also, both explained that my class...or I, made an impact on their lives.  They explained that I treated them like people, not like "stupid kids" even though they were not great students academically.  They went on reminiscing about how I cared about my kids- all of them.

I asked them how they knew I cared.

They were both eager to explain to me that it was the ways in which I knew them as individuals and paid attention to the details of their lives.  That I knew what was important to each student and how I noticed right away if a student wasn't okay.  One went on to say that my students felt "loved" my me in a way that their parents didn't always show them.

After I shed some tears and thanked them, I walked away and reflected.

I reflected on my students today.  I wondered if all of my students from 14 years ago until today also felt similarly.  I certainly hope that my current students feel somewhat this way.

As I go back to school this coming Monday, after break, I will be curious to know if I still have that ability, to make my students feel as I did so long ago.

My fears-

What if I don't?

What if I now try to push myself to be this way and I am not this way authentically?

I am a very real person, I don't want my students to see right through me.

I guess me answer to this issue is simply to be mindful. To just be aware of myself and my students. To authentically be who I am. To be the best me.

Thanks for joining me.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy

@LevineWrites

2 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure you've made more of an impact than you know. Sometimes those encounters with former students give us the belief in ourselves to go on...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love reading about this encounter. I have a feeling you're still connecting in loving ways with students.

    ReplyDelete