Thursday, January 11, 2018

Single Smile



I like to stand out in the hallway, right outside my door between classes at the middle school in which I teach.  Although I have a ton of students, 171 to be exact, it gives me the opportunity to connect with those students that are not in any of my classes.  Each day, students go by me and we make eye contact, say hello, give each other high-fives or fist-bumps.

I know what it does for me- it brightens my day and makes me feel connected to humans. It makes me feel like I matter.  It also allows me to know that kids are okay.

Today.

I had a student come by with her head down.  I do not have this kid in any of my classes and I have no idea what her name is.  I said hi to her.  Nothing.  I told her to have a nice day.  Nothing.  I asked her if she was okay.  Nothing.

I went back to my class and taught my students for 44-minutes.  I noticed that reaction, or lack of a reaction from the girl was bothering me.  I made up my mind to see if I notice her in the hall again between the next classes and ask her if in fact, she was really okay.

After class, I went in the hall and due to some issues at the end of my class, I had temporarily forgotten the girl and my plan.  As I was standing saying hi to passing students, the girl appeared in front of me.  Still looking down.  I asked her, "are you okay?"

She look up to me with tears in her eyes and said, "I just found out we might have to move".

She stayed for a few minutes and told me the story.  She also introduced herself and I found out her name.

We need to remember that even a single smile to a student can have an impact.  They don't have to be our kids.  We don't have to know them. We just have to care. We just need to see the importance of the connection.  Sometimes, we are the student's only connection.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


No comments:

Post a Comment