Thursday, January 25, 2018

Forgotten Ones




This week, I lost three students. I should say, I had three students move away.  It happens all of the time.  We have a percentage of our students that are transient every year.  This year has been extra busy.  I am not sure if it is our community, our state, or the entire country, but it is bothersome to me.

When these students move away, especially if they had not been in the district long, it sad. These students are left with the task of making new friends and starting all over at the new school.

I often wonder-

Do they keep in touch with any of the kids I teach?

Are they doing okay?

Do they miss this school?

Are they in a good school and environment?

I remember my kids. I remember their names and stories.  I spend 180 days learning beside them. Sure, there are over 160 kids during any given year...but they are important to me.

But the ones who move.  The ones who move mid-year. They tend to get lost somehow.  Almost like they never existed in the first place.

For me, the end of the year os emotional. It is the Goodbyes...
I get closure with my kids, even if I will see them in the building or my class again the following year. (I teach both 7th and 8th grade)

When those that have moved away are not part of that process, I feel that they are somehow forgotten.  They are the Forgotten Ones.

I don't want to ever forget any of my students...even ones that I have had for a total of 4-days. There really have been that I have had for this short of a time.

Last year, I had one of the Forgotten Ones come and visit me.  It was wonderful, but sad.  I apparently touched their life, but I didn't get the closure with them.  I was surprised that they even remembered me. I only half-remembered them.

With all of the students that pass through our doors...they are still our kids. They still deserve to be remembered.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


3 comments:

  1. Mark,

    Sometimes, these students come back during the same year or a year after. Ohers, we are pleasantly surprised to find them all grown up. Once, I was at the supermarket and approached by a young man who had just came back from the Boot Camp. It took me a while to realize it is the same tiny, shy boy who left my 6th grade class midway. Talking to him (and family) affirmed the power ofconnecting with our kids.

    Happy Teaching.

    Purviben
    @TrivediZiemba
    http://trivediziemba.edublogs.org/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the power of connecting! Thanks for reading. Mark

      Delete
  2. I moved a lot--especially from 5-9 grade. I went to 9 schools. Three in one year. I lived in 10 different houses! I had an unstable family life and horrible health. Despite everything, I made new friends and learned to adapt to each circumstance. It is nice for you to think of them, but kids are resilient. You can always ask their friends if they keep in touch and find out how they are. With social media, it is so easy to stay connected.

    ReplyDelete