Friday, January 26, 2018

Supporting Peers




January and February tends to be the roughest time to be a teacher- especially in my world.

The students are no longer excited to be at school. The weather (In Illinois) is like riding a broken roller coaster.  There aren't many breaks.  Students are going through their own cabin fever. The flu is going around and creating significant absences. Teachers are being evaluated. District contracts are being talked about. Mandates fall from the sky like the droppings of a Canadian Goose.  Teacher's nerves are shot and they are defensive.  Evaluations are in full swing.

This creates what I call- The Negativity Phase.

I do my personal best to stay clear of this monster.  I eat alone in my classroom with the lights off. I don't talk to many people unless I have to.  I immerse myself into the world of my students.

Lately, I have been doing what I can to shore up teachers having a rough time.  It isn't easy.  In fact, it is easier to be sucked into their abyss.

This week, a colleague of mine is not having a great week.  In fact, their week absolutely sucks!

I decided, intentionally, that I wanted to be there for this peer. Unconditionally. No judgements. No, "you should haves."  Just be there to help pick up the pieces and be there for them as they needed.

Word is that misery loves company, but this time, misery appreciated time and compassion.

Be there for your peers, colleagues, and friends. We are needed by others, not just our students.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


1 comment:

  1. I am one to close the door to negativity, but as you said so well, sometimes lending a hand is a better response.

    ReplyDelete