Thursday, January 18, 2018

Real Caring




I have this student, Casey, that is one of those students that doesn't fit in with others, He is in 7th grade and wears clothes younger than he is. His voice is awkward. He is clumsy. He is smart. He is one of the most polite, caring, empathetic students you can ask for.

Being in 7th grade, of course, Casey gets picked on. When someone picks on him and I intervene, he is even very polite to the student(s) picking on him.

Casey cares a lot.  Does Casey care about others too much?  Does he care about others more than he cares about himself?

The other day, while conferring with Casey, I asked him how he was doing.  His response, "Great!"
I got real with him and told him that it really bothers me when his peers pick on him.  He said, "Oh, please don't let that bother you.  I completely understand that they don't really know me.  If they knew me, really knew me, they wouldn't pick on me all of the time. I am sure that once they get over worrying about what others think of them, they will stop picking on me."

What an amazing kid. Immature, but mature beyond his years. Caring, but realistic.

I wish I knew Casey when I was in 7th grade.

More importantly,  I am really happy that I get to know him now.  He is truly a gift.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


No comments:

Post a Comment