Sunday, January 7, 2018

Skipping the Grade


I have been reading and reflecting on many articles about students doing work in class or for class without a grade lately.  I am a strong advocate for teaching students that there is value in learning and growing and the work that you do in the process should not have a "price" on it to be done.  In other words, I don't think students should need to be bribed and/or threatened with grades to get them to do work of substance and growth.

I personally experienced, as a student a long time ago, a grading system that rewarded compliance as much as it did achievement.  As we move away from achievement and towards a model of growth, I think it is very important to build life lessons of practice.  Practice is how we get to where we are going, to get our goals.  We practice to get better at something.  We practice for the big game or the band concert. The "work" is the practice.  It is the forming or formative work that brings us to our goals.  I am not sure that this type of work needs a grade.

Certainly, to promote growth, this work needs feedback. It desires coaching.  I requires some sort of guidance towards getting better or mastery.

The problem?

Changing the mindset.  For students AND parents!

Grades need to take on a different meaning. As a middle school teacher, I find this is the place to start this transition. Grades should be for the results of the practice. The game, the concert, the test, the final showing of mastery.

As I work though this, I will include my students' reflections in my considerations.  This will take conversations about change.

This will require trust.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about grading. Like you, I've been thinking a lot about the importance of timely formative feedback in this whole process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with this mindset for learning but I honestly haven't seen this put into practice. I hope you continue to blog about your grading practices!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Refection and feedback are crucial tools for educators and students. I agree that too often the focus is on the grade rather than the growth. Grading is, and continues to be, a hot topic. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete