Friday, January 19, 2018

Balanced Feedback



Getting and giving feedback is so important.  The issue with feedback is often how it is given and the words used to express it.

I constantly struggle with giving feedback to students.  I give a lot of feedback, but I am often reflecting, with empathy, on my word choice.  Giving praise, as in saying good job, feels superficial and really doesn't help the student to grow. On the other hand, asking students to tell me more about their work or explain their thinking feels vague and just about the work.  I want my students to feel good about themselves.  I want to help them to build a sense of pride that will eventually lead to academic confidence.

I was talking to one of my students today.  She wrote a wonderful piece on the causes and effects of the 1920s teenager as they have led to today's teen.  It was well thought out and incredibly insightful. Without thinking, I said, "This is so wonderful. I learned so much about your thinking and who you are as a writer and as a young teen. You should be really proud of your hard work".

Her response- tears.

She said, "most teachers just give me a grade or tell me what I could have done better. I have tears in my eyes because I am really proud and you told me it was okay to be proud".

I left that conversation with my own tears...and my own reflection.

Later today, I met with my administrators.  They asked me great questions about my work and challenged me to see what I was doing well and where I could grow... Great use of feedback-right?

I wasn't satisfied!

I wanted to be told something I was doing was great!  I wanted to feel proud.

I wish I could have had the moment with them that I had earlier with my student.

We all deserve to hear that we are great sometimes.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


1 comment:

  1. I agree about getting students good feedback. It can take me up to 30 minutes to grade a major essay. Students also need to learn that feedback doesn't define them. Getting an A, B, or D. Getting a fantastic or a needs improvement. It can be helpful, but it should not determine their self-worth or writer's self-concept.

    They may never hear they are super star writers. Nevertheless, they cannot stop working toward the goal. I think that lesson is important too. :)

    ReplyDelete