Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Just Listen



I had a student ask me to stay after school today to talk to me.  She started the conversation by saying, "You know my family, right?"

I had to say, "yes, yes I do".

I taught several siblings prior to her and she was the youngest.

She went on to explain to me that she is being forced into a religion that she doesn't believe in. She is 13. She is being threatened by her parents and family members to join or else.

We often hear, when we are becoming a teacher, that teachers are often counselors, parents, guides, mentors, etc. I do not advertise to my students that I was a child therapist prior to becoming a middle school teachers- but they know. They can read us. They know who they can trust, who they can talk to, who will side with them, who will support them or advocate for them, who will cheerlead for them and who will do none of the above.

Kids know real.

I asked this student to tell me more.  She did.

I asked her what she wants. She told me that she wants nothing to do with religion.

I asked her what her options were.  She cried.

A counselor or therapist does not give advice. They help the students to hear and feel their own thinking and partner with them towards their insight.

I did.

She left singing in the hallways.

Did I solve her problem. No. She will be crying about it again tomorrow.

But- she was heard. She was validated. She was a cared for.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


No comments:

Post a Comment