Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Being Real



My students, for years, have told me that they enjoy my class and look forward to coming to my class each day.  For reflection purposes, to find out what I am doing right to keep students interested, I am always willing to listen to what it is that makes my class popular.

Honesty alert, I enjoy hearing that kids love my class. I am guessing that I am not the only one.

My classes are not easy, they in fact are challenging and growth oriented.  This is evidenced by my higher than average data.  My students, however, claim that my class is easy and they are able to understand what they are learning more clearly in my classes.

Honesty alert, I really feel uneasy when my students compare my class to other teachers. I do not allow my students to bad-mouth my peers.

One of my students was able to clarify for me, and I think he might be on to something.

I do not talk down to my students.  I do not yell at them.  I do not have a list of rules. I expect my respect of the students to model enough respect for them to show respect to me.  My students know that learning is not a spectator sport and partnering in growth is most effective.

The reason for my consideration in the post- there are a lot of current books out there about student engagement.  I think they are great.  I think they offer new ways to look at engagement.  They demonstrate real life situations in which to draw from.  I have a lot of respect for people who are searching for answers for their own "teacher" growth.

I know from experience.  Even if you read all of these books and try all of these potential methods... The best was to have students want to fill a seat in your classroom is to be you...the real you...the caring you...  Put your students first and listen to them.  Know them.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


2 comments:

  1. I could have written this, Mark. How I wish I could have taught for a while with you and Christy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you could have. Working along side you would have been amazing.

      Delete