Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Acceptance



As I have proven myself to be successful with some of the hardest to teach students through the years, I have recently been afforded to great privilege of borrowing a handful of students from our program that teaches students with emotional issues.

I have started to connect with all of the students. One, hard to reach student, has chosen me to be her favorite this week.  She started to open up and allow me to teach her.  She has asked to learn more difficult concepts and asked for additional reading to better understand what we are learning.

Apparently, this is odd for her.  This is odd as she tends to not connect with male teachers.

Today, she brought me a Thank you card for taking the time to teach her.

Something like this would warm my heart regardless of which student might do this for me...but this, today, made me tear up.

I allowed her to see me tears. I allowed myself to show her what an impact that she had on me,

A few lessons learned here-

1. Be open to teach ALL students.

2. All students can be reached.

3. Students deserve to know their impact on us.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


No comments:

Post a Comment