Sunday, July 15, 2018

The In-between times



Lately I have been noticing the in-between times.  In fact, I can say that I have been living in the in-between times.

What are these special times?

They are the times in-between the life that we live on purpose.  We live with our list of things to do.  We are alive while we are accomplishing the things on our calendar.  We are intentional and put our efforts in being productive and making sure that we are working towards something.  These events give us purpose.  They are often the ways in which we earn a living or earn a sense of accomplishment.

But, there is more.

They are the in-between times.  They are the gaps that we tend to ignore because are attention is on the next thing or things on our lists.  They exist and want to be noticed, but we are too busy.

What do these special times offer?

They offer quiet, mindful times that allow us to breathe.  They are the times that we get to notice the world around us.  These are the times that hunger for slowed attention and have the most to offer us.  They can give us life that has more meaning that accomplishment.  Maybe, in fact, these in-between times are the times that define life.

I look at them as boards on a deck.  We stand on the boards, but we don't notice the small gaps that sit in-between the boards.  If we look at those spaces, we can see what other life exists below.  These are the spaces of possibility.

I am looking forward to getting used to appreciating the in-between times. I want to get to know them more intimately.  I want to appreciate them and help myself to no longer ignore them as simply the space between obligation.

I will be mindful.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites




No comments:

Post a Comment