Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Supporting Students




In the past few weeks, I have run into so many parents that told me that school cannot start soon enough.  I love my kids but I need a break from them.  I am so used to dealing with them in smaller doses that it is time to get them back to school so I can enjoy them again.

I have to admit, I do not understand this sentiment.

I have no kids of my own.  I do not know that feeling.  If I was a parent, I am not sure if I might feel the same.

Do all parents feel this way?  I am sure the answer has to be...No!

I fear that the parents that are telling me this are overwhelmed somehow.  Maybe their lives are so full that the changes in responsibility of time is taxing to them?  Maybe they are simply doing summer wrong?  I do not know...

I want all parents to cherish the minutes that they have with their children as I do while I have their kids in my classroom.  But I am not them.  I do not know their situations or struggles.  I want to empathize with them, but I would need to know more...and that would require diving into their personal business.

We have so many parents and students that have struggles that we will never understand as teachers.  I think the best that we can do, regardless of what is conveyed to us, is to be there.  To listen.  And to be the safe and nurturing place that helps these students enjoy life the best that they can.

Maybe that is why I do not have kids of my own.  My journey is to be the supplement to these kids and parents to help make their lives better and complete.

Regardless, I am always going to be there for my students and their worlds, their parents, their communities.  It is my mission.  It is who I am.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


No comments:

Post a Comment