Thursday, July 26, 2018

Learning the Plan




I was able to set up about 66% of my classroom yesterday with the help of three wonderful honors students that needed community service hours for National Junior Honor Society.  It was great being around kids that cared and we able to work together towards one goal.

I had the kids take all of my YA Literature and alphabetize the books by author.  This is one my of least favorite things to do.  They tackled this task while I worked on various other things around the classroom.

It was such a joy to listen to them reason out the plan on making this task as easy and efficient at the same time.  They reasoned out that they were using three large tables to sort the books and as there are 26 letters in the alphabet, they would be needing room for about 8 letters per table.  They then worked out a flow of direction between the tables so they would not get in each other's way while bringing the books to the piles.

Once that task was complete, they sat down and worked out a plan to bring the books to the shelves.  Again, it was a well thought out plan that had each student having a very specific responsibility.

The task was completed in no time.

Next, my posters for the back wall.  Again, a well worked plan.

These three students will be in my 8th grade honors class this coming year.  I could not help but use their planning abilities to begin to create lessons for their class knowing their capacity for planning things out and sometimes, having to make changes in the plans due to a glitch in the original plans.

I allowed to have these three students teach me more than they could know.  I am cool with that!

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


No comments:

Post a Comment