Thursday, July 19, 2018

My Generation




This morning, as I was getting ready for my day, I was listening to music as usual.  The Who song, My Generation came on and of course, I S-S-Sang along with it.  I also listened closely to the lyrics.

The song talks about a generation where people (the older people) try to put them down and do NOT understand them.  We are talking about the very early 1970s.  I was just after the generation that they are speaking of...but the song applied to me.  And the next generation.  And...to THIS generation.

As the song lyrics certainly complain, I believe that they are asking for empathy.  They are asking for patience and understanding.  They are asking their elders to let them be who they are while they are making every attempt to find themselves.

I will be the first to admit, even though I used to say until recently that I love ALL music, there are a group of young rappers that I do not like.  I do not like their music, them as people, and what they stand for.  They make me angry and sad.

But...

Am I giving them the patience and understanding that the Who were looking for as they described their generation?

Probably Not.

I think this fully is something to think about as I get ready to meet my new students in a few weeks.  I need to be intentional about my patience and understanding, not just of them as my students as I always am...but of their generational needs and differences.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


No comments:

Post a Comment