Saturday, February 17, 2018

Think Work




I recently participated in a Twitter Chat where the idea of homework was brought up.  It has always been my philosophy that homework should be given when and where practice is needed.  In essence, in math and in reading.  By practicing using newly added math thinking there is grasp and growth.  We know, or at least we should acknowledge, that the only way to become a better reader and writer is to read more. Reading should become habit through regular practice- both for enjoyment and specific purpose.

Again, my philosophy.

As a social studies teacher, I learned a long time ago...that only a small handful of students will actually do the reading when assigned, thus the use of the reading assignment was never of value.

With the growth in use of 1:1 devices...our district has Chrome Books, I am finding more valuable purposes for homework.  The thing is, I hate calling something new by an old name when and where it will carry an ugly connotation.  Thus, Think-work was born.

So far, I have found that having my students watch brief video clips in conjunction with brief reads, it prepares my students for richer discussion the following day.  This also leads us nicely to the in-class reading and work that we do daily. (Including any Inquiry)

The Think-work can take as little as 15 minutes which I feel is enough, when done well, to make things worth while.  It is not busy work. It is not a worksheet.  It is not done so I can add more grades.  It is not done to promote compliance.  It is real work.

Those that do not do the Think-work, quickly find themselves behind and lacking the background knowledge for the class.  The consequences are therefore- Natural!

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


2 comments:

  1. This feels very flipped classroom, Mark. I like the idea. Worksheets are such a waste of time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I want to move this way but not at 1:1 yet and not all have access at home (rural bad internet)

    ReplyDelete