Friday, February 2, 2018

Kids Really Care




I went to school today, still dragging from the flu.

It is incredible how students know that I am ill and they step up to take care of me.  They are quiet, more on task, ask peers to be quiet, and massively helpful.

I wonder where they learned this behavior?

Is empathy innate?

I really think it is.  More and more, I see my middle school students looking out for each other. They check in when things are not going well.  If someone drops something, peers jump in to help.  They really care. They want everyone to be okay.

Of course, once things are good, the bullying and what they call "roasting" continues.  But once you see the nice side of them, you can really tell that for the most part...the being mean is just another way that they express their caring for each other. Kids really care.

Yes, there are exceptions to this.  Real bullying happens.  But I am seeing less and less...in my little world, anyway.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


No comments:

Post a Comment