Thursday, February 8, 2018

Happy Snow Day?




Snow days are interesting.  They are like an expected gift to those that get one. They are hoped for, even if they are a long-shot. There are some areas in the North that sometimes get as many as 20 snow days a year.  In the Chicago area...maybe 1-3 per year and some years- None.

At about 4:18 pm today, my phones rang, my text messages went wild, and I got an email. No School tomorrow due to inclement weather.

I suspected we would have a snow day. I am maybe way into weather.  All day, the students were quiet, almost as if they might jinx the possibility of the snow day. Maybe they thought they might make the Snow Gods angry and they would keep the snow day from the begging children.

Do I want a snow day?

I was asked that a few times.

Here's the deal.

Snow days have to be made up...at the END of the year.  It pushes back 8th grade graduation and end of the year activities. I like getting out of school before Memorial Day.

Snow days interrupt learning. And...it just so happens that some major learning was going on in my class today. (Not that this is different from every other day I exist)

I don't know.  Am I willing to give up my snow day?  No.  Actually...I will be writing all day. With a great new coffee I just got. With some wonderful SPA music from Sirius XM.   I have a few things due tomorrow night that are not quite ready.

So... I will take it as just one of those things that happened TO me. Out of my control. Make the best of it. It's a Snow Day.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


3 comments:

  1. I used to call them a gift from the homework gods :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them but I hate the drawbacks you mention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spent most of my snow day writing too! I love your message: don't stress about what we cannot control!

    ReplyDelete