Saturday, February 24, 2018

Always On




Being a teacher comes with many challenges and obstacles. As a teacher, you have to play so many roles to so many people, but mostly...your students.

One things that non-teachers might not recognize is that teachers have to be "on" at all times.  Where ever the teacher is standing or sitting, they are constantly on a stage. Every minute of each of the 180ish days a year that they teach, all eyes are on us!  Our administrators stop by, our superintendent stops by, parents stop by, our peers stop by- we are continually under a microscope.

Most importantly, we are always being watched by our students.  Our words, our body language, our energy, our mood, our teaching- we are always "on."

Some of us get nervous by it.  Some of us stop concerning ourselves with it.  Some of us feed off of it.  In fact, it inspires us.  We are aware of ourselves and the impact that we are having on our students so much, that we want to build energy to get energy.

What I mean by this is-

If my kids are in a stupor, I charge myself to wake them up and energize them.  When they are energized, the engagement is electric.  It inspires me!  It gives me the energy to keep going.  It is up to me.

Be aware of yourself.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


1 comment:

  1. This is a conversation I've had a couple of times with the new teacher who took many of my classes when I retired. It's hard. It's exhausting. And it is definitely inspiring when your class is as engaged as you are.

    ReplyDelete