Friday, February 9, 2018

Testing the Times




So... Last night the Chicago Tribune did a story about Illinois getting rid of the PARCC testing.

I am not sure how I feel about this. I have several reflective responses.

1. I am really tired of things like this being replaced with hurry and lack of long-term thinking. Replacing the PARCC just to replace it make no sense to me.

2. Does it need to be replaced?  Or can we look at what really matters in the lives of our students...their real needs. Can we assess growth in a more authentic way?

3. I happen to seen value in Common Core on the ELA side and the PARCC test in ELA actually is a pretty accurate show of ability in the standards that are important for being a successful student.  Note: I make no claims about the Math portion of Common Core or the PARCC which seem to have had issues from the start.

4. If PARCC is replaced, it will be done at the state level. Illinois has no money, and thus, no people working at the Board of Education to rebuilt and replace.

5. Do I want the test be be built by educators and not a corporation for profit?  Of course. But I want teachers that actually know how to make a test that truly measures what it sets out to measure.  I have seen and used way too many tests made by educators...even those that I have a ton of respect for, that were not good by any means.

So...what is the answer?

I don't know. I hope it is not a rushed answer. I hope it reflects a change in thinking in education. I hope it's something that we can appreciate for a long time and isn't just the scent of the day.

I don't often rant, but when I do...it is out of passion, not judgement.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


No comments:

Post a Comment