Sunday, February 18, 2018

Reaching the Lost



"I am tired of learning.  Just leave me alone."

This statement threw me for a loop. 

This is a girl that has been struggling in school for years.  She is in 7th grade and probably stopped learning when she was in third grade.  She is one of those students that has been quietly sitting in the corner. She is not a behavior issue.  She has no specific label of learning difficulties.  She has been allowed to stay lost.

Recently, she has had a family issue which has given her more reason to seperate herself from school work.  She has learned to use it as an excuse.  She has been seen by counselors in efforts to try to support her, but she pushes everyone away.

In class, she struggles to get anything done.  She is defiant.  She throws her tests into the garbage.  She refuses to read.  She talks during mini-lessons.

How do I reach a student that does not want to be reasched?

How do I teach a student that doesn't want to be taught?

I can't just give up on her.  I won't just give up on her.  She has given up on herself. She is lost.

It is interesting that I can reach 170 kids...but not this one.

I will not give up!  This is part of being a teacher. It hurts.  As teachers, we want to succeed with every student.  We are not programmed to let go and simply say, "oh well."

For me...I will continue to show compassion and understanding while trying my best to reach her...somehow.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites

Image result for child alone


1 comment:

  1. It takes a strong heart to continue day after day in the face of rejection. You will get through, it might not be this year, but this student will know someone tried.

    ReplyDelete