Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Living your students' culture




Today, at the end of class, my 8th graders were talking about a movie that will be coming out soon.  I jumped in and started saying how much I was looking forward to that movie.  My kids, stopped and one said, "you are just like one of us.  You know what music we listen to, what electronics we like, what brand clothes we like... You are like a big 8th grader."

I really am.  And...that's perfectly fine.  In fact, I would not want it any other way!

Teachers, good teachers, naturally assimilate to our students' culture.  I have seen it in all levels of school- elementary, middle, and high school.  We immerse ourselves into the worlds of our students. We know what is important in their worlds and lives.  We know the little things like fashion, music, movies, and whatever our kids like at the moment.  I am positive this is a geographic thing as well. I am sure that based on where we live, we can recognize the nuances that make our kids...our kids.

As I take a step back and realize that I have been assimilating to the world of middle school kids for the past 20 plus years, I have to laugh. Who knew that this was a side effect of being a teacher?  A good teacher!

We hear all of the time about the essential part of learning is the relationship a student has with their teacher.  It stands to reason that the more immersed in our students' culture, the more ready we are for these relationships.

If acting like a 13 year old will help my kids learn...I am ALL in!

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#MIndfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


No comments:

Post a Comment