Tuesday, November 27, 2018

This IS my problem




I had a student come to me complaining about one of her classes.  I explained, as I always do, that I do not want to hear teacher bashing, but I will listen to her concerns.

She explained that she doesn't feel hear by her teacher.  That this teacher gives everyone a very strict and same answer to students when they come to her for help. 

She tells them to, "ask another student that gets it, I already taught this to you."

I am not okay with this response for many reasons.  I am very reflective, so the first thing that I do when a student has a concern is to try to complaint on...in other words, I ask myself if I do that.  Ummm, NO!  I would never think this, let alone say it to a student.

My concern for the students in this class is that the teacher is-

...Not teaching with clarity.

...Not being flexible.

...Not listening to the needs of the students.

...Not willing to give extra help to those that ask for it.

...Not differentiating lessons.

...Not teaching for the students, but instead, teaching for herself.

This idea of "I covered it and now I am done" is such a traditional and old school way of looking at one's self as a teacher...I am very surprised that this is being done.

Of course, I would not jump to believe a student concern based on a single student...but in this case, the student was joined with at least a dozen other students that are in the same class with similar if not exactly the same concerns.

What can I do?

I can encourage these students to talk with the teacher and let them know of their concerns.  I can also offer my time to try to help them to the best of my ability as I am not one to say or think, "This is not my problem."  Instead, I am one to say or think, "This is my solution..."

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites




2 comments:

  1. I heard a great three step approach to navigating problems not too long ago. I think it was a public official of some kind who said she'd love to meet with anyone who had a concern, but before they came she wanted them to be prepared to explain:1. What's the problem? 2. What's a possible solution? 3. What's your contributing part in that solution? I'm not sure it totally works here, but it's a nice guideline. Your students are fortunate to have you in their corner.

    ReplyDelete