Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Contacting Parents




The past two days were parent teacher conferences.  I really and truly enjoy parent teacher conferences for many reasons.  I get the meet the parents behind the student.  I get to brag about the students.  I get to offer suggestions of challenge and growth.  I get to partner with parents on positive change moving forward...

One thing that happened at so many of my conferences that I do not really remember happening before.  Parents teared up and even cried.  Mom's, grandparents, and yes...even dad's teared up for their students. 

There was so much pride for their students' work and who their students are becoming.  They are proud of not only their grades and growth, but the individuals that are free-thinking, critical-thinking, and leaders.  The tears and very kind words will certainly get me through some of the rough times ahead.

One of my parents, in which I have taught three of her daughters, told me that I am an inspiration to all of the kids that I teach, the parents of those kids, and the community in which I serve.

Okay...

I cried with those comments.

As teachers, we need to remember the value of parent contact.  We need to be more intentional at every opportunity, to make some sort of contact with parents.  As a middle school teacher...this does not happen nearly enough.  From what I hear, there is even less at the High School level.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


1 comment:

  1. You clearly make a difference, Mark. And I thoroughly enjoy parent conferences, too. I finish up tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete