Sunday, November 11, 2018

Grace




Teachers require Grace.

The continual pressure to perform seems to get greater every passing year.

Trying to help students to grow and learn that come to us with so much Trauma is a never ending mountain to climb.

We are always doing a balancing act between making students like us as we build connections as a foundation for learning while making sure that we are true to the standards, making our administrators happy, not upsetting parents, and paying attention to where we fit on the Danielson Model of what makes for a good teacher.

We have to be aware of our roles in dangerous situations such as fires, tornadoes, and now...active shooters.

Most schools have some type of competitiveness and drama between staff.

We are often pawns in the negotiations of the Union and Board to be treated fairly and be paid a decent wage.

We must work in continual professional development to meet our requirements of some 120 hours of PD every 5-years (In Illinois).

We are always wondering if there will be a retirement fund available when it is our turn to use the funds.

We must endure the ever-changing directives and new initiatives that seem to fall from the sky but are valued by the district because they cost them millions of dollars.

Let me restate my initial statement.  Teachers that are invested with their hearts and soul require Grace.  Of course there will always be those that are in it for the short term, summers off, and the expectation to move into some type of management in 5-years.

I am being real today.  I am being reflective.

So...

Given the choice of caring or not caring, I still choose to care and carry all of the stressors and burdens listed above...if I get to continue to be a teacher that cares and offers my students the kind of teacher they deserve.  I will afford myself the grace that I need.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


No comments:

Post a Comment