Friday, November 16, 2018

Discovery




Today was a good teaching day.  I used one of my trademark methods of students discovery-

Instead of intentionally going step by step with the how-to of using specific skills with my students, I allowed them to work independently, then compare answers and thinking.  Then they were to decide which answer was the strongest and why it was strongest.  Next, my students had conversation about what they were learning from the activity by responding to the statement..."I learned that ...."

I find that this is the optimum way of giving students best and most lasting ownership of their learning.  They come to realize application of their learning first hand as opposed to learning a superficial definition or concept.  Most important, my students are learning from each other.  They are sharing ideas and building trust in each others abilities.

Another benefit from this methodology is that student become comfortable with failure...or the NOT YET.  They realize that not understanding or having the best answer at first in not the focus...instead, the learning and growth in the process and on the journey is actually the focus.

During debriefing today with my students, as I ask them for feedback of the day's lesson and how it worked for them, even my students with the "I must get everything correct or I am a failure" mentality left feeling comfortable with the process over the immediate outcome.  They were clearly about to articulate the noticeable growth in real time.

This entire process is transferable in skills for my students.  They can apply this process to learning in general.

Some might argue that this is not a perfect learning environment as it is not controllable in intention and purpose.  I might agree if a teacher did not know and trust their students and have to trust of the students...but I feel that this is the definition of true learning and the essence of metacognition.

Think it through.  Be aware of the possibilities.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


No comments:

Post a Comment