Friday, November 2, 2018

Clinical Students




I currently have a clinical student doing 50 hours of observation, etc. from a local University.  I so enjoy getting to know new thinking in education as well as what the expectations are for new teachers.  Yes, in a selfish way helping a new teaching student helps me to keep my finger on the pulse of education to make sure that I am keeping up with things...so far, so good!

My student is a great guy.  He isn't afraid to get into learning with my students.  He is great at asking questions to get at the deeper meanings of why things are done as they are.  We get to debrief each day as I ask him two questions...

What did you notice?


What do you wonder?


I have come to believe that these two questions are powerful enough to get a person reflecting on what they are seeing, learning, and curious about towards growth.  I use these questions often with my students as well to get at deeper meanings of what they are learning.

I have been very lucky with clinical students and students teachers throughout my career.  Most have gone on to wonderful paths as teachers.  Some as coaches that do a little teaching on the side.  One as a museum curator.  And...one or two that just were not cut out for the profession,  but that is a conversation for another time.  The main idea here is that I enjoy seeing new teachers through the rough times, the learning and curious times, and the times where what they want to do as a teacher isn't always clear.

As I look towards retirement, I am hopeful that I will get to have one more full session student teacher.  I want to pass on what I can and help one more person that I believe in to reach their dreams.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


No comments:

Post a Comment