Saturday, November 10, 2018

Such a Teacher




I had a student come up to me during passing period.  This student is amazingly smart and insightful. 

She looked at me and said, "You are such a teacher."  I said, "Yes, yes I am."

She then asked, "If you knew what you know about teaching now, when you first were deciding to become a teacher, would you still have decided to become a teacher?"

I laughed.  I smiled.  I said, "Yes, of course.  Teaching isn't a job and it is way more than a career.  Teaching is a way of life.  It is who I am."

My student looked back up at me and said, "Makes sense.  I couldn't imagine you doing anything else."

I agree.  I couldn't imagine myself doing anything else as well.  Even though I have had a basket full of careers, not jobs in my life...teaching is what I have always done and who I have always been.

My teaching career started when I was in the 6th grade.  I was starting middle school and right across from the school was a very old elementary school.  They were running a pilot for children from the ages of 4-6 years old.  This pilot was called Safety Town and was about helping kids learn about safety in their neighborhood, near roads and driveways, etc.

We were able to sign up for two-week sessions.  I signed up for all 5.  This was a voluntary program that paid nothing and really had little motivating factors other than to help the small kids learn how to be safe.  It was run by our police department.

I love it.  As I think back to my many jobs and careers, I have taught in all of them.  When I decided to go back to school for yet another degree...It all made sense to me.  My entire life had been training me to be the best possible teacher I could ever imagine being.

I really am..."Such a Teacher!"

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


No comments:

Post a Comment