Friday, February 23, 2018

The Back Story




As I noted yesterday, Parent-Teacher conferences were yesterday and today.  I really enjoy connecting with parent. Sometimes, as in the case of today...you get to hear the back story of a student and it causes you to change your entire appreciation and perspective of the kid.

I have a student that, for 7th grade, acts a bit immature and plays with toys during class.  This often gets in the way of learning for the student in my class and in fact, all other classes.  This student talks to peers, is often inattentive,  and is fine with barely passing.  There is limited motivation for school at best.

Today, I met with the student and parent.  It was interesting and eye opening.  I learned of the family norms, the family expectations of the student, their priorities, and some pretty awful things that has happened to the family through the years.

Hmmm.  Is the behavior of this student a response to what is going on at home.  Is it now clear that the student doesn't prioritize school due to things in their life that they cannot control.  ...yes.

I often do not like knowing much about my students before they become mine.  I really do not want to take the impressions of others and let it stand in the way of me getting to know my students without judgement.  But...sometimes, when I find things out, it really make the connection that I can create with students, often difficult students, more valuable.

I now know how I can support this student.

Better late than never?

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


No comments:

Post a Comment