Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Skipping the Punishment




Today was an interesting day. I wish it was good interesting, but it was one of those days that I hurt inside as a teacher.

I found out that one of my best students was helping another student in one of my other classes cheat on a test.  This is one of my least favorite things to deal with.  I have a difficult time as a teacher with lying and cheating.  Dishonestly truly hurts my soul.

In our district, the general punishment is a Dean's referral for both parties, usually ending in a suspension.

These are both wonderful students...honors students.

I started out by asking if they realized what they were doing was considered cheating- one was feeding another test questions for a test this week.  They are in different classes.

To my surprise, they clearly didn't see this as truly cheating until I explained the situation to each of them.  THEN...they realized the dishonesty...and cried.

Based on who they are and as well, their reaction to the idea that this was cheating...they were clueless that this was wrong.

As I watched them sink into their sobbing, I could not help but comfort them.  There was no way I was going to write them up, or lead them to the standard consequences.  I know this will not happen again with these two.  What they went through was more than enough.

We do NOT need to rush towards punishment with our students.  Often, there are much better ways of handling things to turn an incident like this into a learning and growing experience. I like this much better than the punishment.

Now...to make sure that I was not taken advantage of.  I know I won't.  I just want to make sure that anyone who reads this realizes that I am not THAT big of a pushover.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


No comments:

Post a Comment