Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Cared For




As a teacher, we are often led to fear or dislike administrators. Some people even become administrators so they can be powerfully feared. Some administrators have an US and THEM kind of mentality, or they foster this type of mentality on their staff.

This has never really been the case in my teaching career.  I, in fact, made a deal with myself a long time ago that if I did not get along with the admin, I would find another place to teach.  This has never come up...thankfully.

Today, at school, was a messy day.  Due to the incident, I cannot go into details, but this was a rough day for many kids.  They made a choice that turned our building upside down.  This incident effected the entire building for a couple of hours.

We were to have a partial day with the kids, and then go off to other buildings for professional development.  Right after the students left the building, our administrators called a meeting.  We had a wonderful debriefing session where staff was truly heard.  We felt cared for.

As the session ended, we expected to be sent off to our trainings.  Instead, our wonderful principal took care of us and let us continue to debrief and take care of US after such a stressful day.

Administrators are leaders.  They can be care-takers of staff as well.  I feel safe and cared for.  I feel like I matter.  I am certainly not alone in these feelings  Also, these feelings trickle down to the care that we give to our students.  It matters.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


No comments:

Post a Comment