Friday, July 13, 2018

The Right Food




After a few days of eating what was put in front of me at a conference and then, eating what the very nice hotel eatery had to offer, I needed to go fresh.  I needed to eat something that I had control of and something that I can design for my quest towards a healthier lifestyle.

Before pulling into a Culver's out of desperation, I noticed a very cool looking grocery store.  The name of it made me feel like I was healthy already... Harvest Market.

I walked in with hopes of it being like a Whole Foods and this place did not disappoint.  In fact, I would much rather this place and I wish it was closer!  As I walked in, I noticed that it had one of those super healthy sit-down places to eat with a menu and great coffees.  As I walked around I found that they had all kinds of healthy ready-to-make meals.  The produce section and deli counter was all I needed.  I dove right in.  While I was mesmerized in my overstimulation, I watch a cheese expert giving cheese lessons to a patron.  It was amazing.  I wanted to take a seat and participate in the interactive class as the couple was sampling so many cheeses.  I think they ate their dinner in samples.

I left with my incredible finds and got back to my hotel room.  I excitedly opened the bag and laid out my spread.  Instead of turning the TV on for company, I sat with relaxation music and mindfully ate. I am not sure if it was this incredible food, the break from junk, or the mindful eating, but I tasted my food like I was eating for the first time.

Mindful eating is not only healthy as it slows you down and makes eating a more intentional process, but it allows you to taste foods with depth and detail.  I took my time and allowed my meal to last over an hour.

The result-

I am full, satisfied, relaxed, and reflective on the process.  THIS is a process I want to repeat.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


No comments:

Post a Comment