Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Hiking memories




My wife and I went walking, well hiking, today in the State Park that we were married at13 years ago (September) .  Today is her birthday and to celebrate, we returned to the scene of the beginning of us.  We had a small Native American ceremony for our wedding at the Indian Caves of Matthiessen state park in Illinois so...this place is very important to us.

It was a little more full of people and their dogs than we would have liked.  It was also much warmer and muddier than we were hoping for.  But all in all, it was a wonderful experience.

What I noticed while we were there was the flood of memories.  It has been a long time since I was last there, but the memories were fresh.  When my wife and I decided to get married down in the lower dells of the park, my mother had just found out that she had lung cancer.  My mother was a real trooper and climbed the many many stairs.  She walked through the creeks and mud to make her way to the place that we decided was perfect for us.  She did it all...for us.

I remember being so proud of her and thankful when she finally made it back up the endless stairs.  I admit it...today when I got to the top of the stairs...I was winded and hurting.  This made my memories and thankfulness for my mother even stronger.

My mother left us due to lung cancer over 8-years ago.

So...

Today I actually celebrate the two most important women in my life.  My incredible wife on her birthday and my mother, who was always giving in any way that she could.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites



4 comments:

  1. Beautiful memories. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hold on to each of those precious memories. We are walking that path with my mother right now and we talk and remember things. I jot them down so that when she is gone I can look at those memories we shared. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete