Wednesday, July 4, 2018

The Calming Cicada




As I grilled out special 4th of July meal this afternoon... Corn on the Cob, Potatoes, and Buttered Boca Burgers, I noticed a few things.

The first thing that I noticed was that I was calm.  I am usually stressed while grilling for my wife and mother-in-law as I want everything to be perfect and come out at exactly at the same time.  Today I was calm.  I was in my happy place.  And...everything was perfect.

While I was grilling out, it was pretty hot outside....and I was working near the massively hot grill.  Being calm and enjoying myself, I noticed that I wasn't even breaking a sweat.  I know this was due to my calm demeanor and attitude.  It was nice.

The fireworks have been bothering me a lot this year. (Long story, but related to a shooting incident that I witnessed)  While I was outside working on the food, a neighbor started blowing off the larger fireworks...the kind that you feel in your chest.  Instead of focusing on this, I noticed immediately, for the first time this year, the wonderful sounds of the cicada.  The waves of cicada calls took me on a journey allowing my focus and mindfulness to stay with these sounds and forget the larger booms coming from down the street.  I stayed calm inside and out.  I thanked the cicadas out-loud for taking care of me.

Dinner was nice.  Nice conversation and great food.  I am calm, thankful, and enjoying my holiday.

I hope you are all doing the same.

Be Mindful.

Peace.

Mark Levine

#Mindfulliteracy
@LevineWrites


No comments:

Post a Comment